Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: [fwd] Firewall Products: Many Not Ready For Prime Time,

From: Jody Patilla <jcp () tis com>
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 1998 10:39:22 -0500 (EST)

I think the real problem is in the way the typical MIS manager seems
to view firewalls: one silver bullet that you buy, drop it in place,
and life is good.  I realize not everyone is so naive, but in trying
to wear a consultant's hat for the first part of this year, I've come
to learn some _really_ scary things about the Real World.

        I refer to this as the Mojo Bag Theory of Firewall Purchase. The
idea is that you buy one and just having it keeps away the evil eye. :-)
(Burning incense in front of the firewall may or may not be a "best
practice", depending on the particular shaman, er, consultant, that you
call in to do the eval.)

- jcp

--
Jody C. Patilla                                         jcp () tis com
Trusted Information Systems                             Rockville, Md.