Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: TIS Gauntlet : WINS and Exchange

From: Bill_Royds () pch gc ca
Date: Fri, 3 Apr 1998 09:24:08 -0500

The mapping WINS does is ASCII to Unicode.  ASCII characters are the first
128 characters of Unicode.
Windows NT  uses Unicode as its default character set (something MS
actually did correctly).

This is true with one exception.  WINS maps each character of the
NETBIOS name to TWO characters in a really weird way. I guess that they
did this because the name field in DNS is twice as long as the NETBIOS
names.  This only becomes a problem if you have to sniff the packets.  I
have a conversion table that I made for this purpose if you need it.
RFC1001 and RFC1002 should explain the whole thing.