Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

TIS Gauntlet : WINS and Exchange

From: AC <ac0 () io com>
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 1998 22:45:23 -0600 (CST)

Hey folks,

So I am currently on a project that involves
a number of m$ products; <sigh>
"Know thy enemy" is what I always say
though.

check this: the company has 2 WINS servers, the primary
one is in their uptown location. Their secondary is
at their downtown location, where I am.
So they do WINS resolution _over the INternet_.
(no inter-office connectivity
except through the net). Is WINS and port 137-139
netbios services the same thing? How the fsck does WINS
work anyway? More importantly, how will I pass
it through the Gauntlet firewall (plug-gw?) ( is there not
the fear that somebody can just use smbclient and
a cracked password to access the drives?) Not only
that, but they do the Exchange database replication
also _over the internet_. needless to say, their
setup is fubar. but I have to know how does the m$ sexchange
db replication work anyway? (which ports or anything)
more importantly, how do I pass it through gauntlet?

I believe I might have to just tcpdump
on the wire and figure out what's happening,
cause RFC1001 and RFC1002 aint fun reading.

Suggestions, flames, comments welcome.
--Anindya