Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Hackers break into Pentagon system

From: Roger Marquis <marquis () roble com>
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 1998 22:29:16 -0700 (PDT)

On Sun, 26 Apr 1998, Rama Kant wrote:
As far as the DOD's sites are concerned, there is a rumor that one of the
Solaris vulnerability was exploited.
Does anyone know of any details of the exploited Solaris vulnerability?

Is it still a rumor?  I read (forget where, perhaps here) that the bug was
in statd.  Does statd ever run without NFS?  Were they really running NFS
on an Internet-connected host?

As if that wasn't bad enough I've seen large government contractors
(3,000+ employees) with even worse firewall security.  If the FBI is
serious about "cyberterrorism" the first place they should start, IMHO, is
with federal contractors.

Roger Marquis
Roble Systems Consulting
http://www.roble.com/consulting