Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Q on external router

From: "Paul D. Robertson" <proberts () clark net>
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 1998 01:16:48 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 23 Apr 1998 tqbf () secnet com wrote:

  Do not rely on switches because switches are not designed for
security.

    Based on that logic, there's just about nothing you CAN
rely on, except death, taxes, and sendmail bugs.

I don't think that's very fair. It seems obvious to me that some systems
have more attention paid to them for security (VMailer, for instance) than
others (like Sendmail). My confidence in VMailer is much greater than my
confidence in Sendmail, to the point where I'd be willing to consider
deploying VMailer in circumstances where Sendmail's lack of reliability is
prohibitive.

Erm, or qmail it would seem ;)

Same goes for switches and link-layer security.

I think the comparison is a very good one.  In the case of Sendmail, and
most network equipment, security is an "add-on" which wasn't central to
the original engineering plan.  That means that there may be design
problems which limit the ammount of security you can really get from the
system in question, or things that may have been overlooked while
backfilling security.

Things like VMailer, which have security as a design point make a very
good case for themselves if the implementation is right.  I have an
obviously high degree of trust in Wietse's ability to do a correct
implementation.  I use the same type of evaluation criteria for all the
products that I have to extend a high degree of trust to.  Swich vendors,
OS vendors or providers, firewall products, etc.  While I can do a fair
ammount of verification of some things, I can't check everything.

Knowing where you're extending your trust boundries, and to whom is
always important.  Track record has always been an important metric, and
you have to extend trust somewhere, so that combined with due dilligence
is the most that a lot of us can hope for.

Switch DoS attacks due to spanning-tree implementations and designs which
don't take into account the possibility of an attack are out there.  While
you can gain some measure of protection from some attacks with switches, you
open yourself up to others.

Not realizing that key pieces of infrastructure weren't necessarily
designed correctly could be a farily costly mistake.  It doesn't take an
attack either, just ask AT&T (Though they have _far_ more to lose from voice
over frame, so that may have been a strategicly profitable outage).

Paul
Paul D. Robertson      "My statements in this message are personal opinions
proberts () clark net      which may have no basis whatsoever in fact."
                                                                     PSB#9280