Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Q on external router

From: Eric Vyncke <evyncke () cisco com>
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 1998 22:32:09 +0200

Thomas,

Do not misread me, I'm by no way saying that a `mostly dumb'
ethernet switch can replace a firewall... I'm just saying that
instead of using a hub for a DMZ, you can use another device
that can increase your security.

If it fails (buggy software, ...), you are back to square #1.
But, it is at least an additional layer of security and I
am willing to use as much as possible of security layers to
protect my networks/hosts.

And, even if my fellow software engineers won't agree with me,
I agree with you: switch are not designed/developped with security
as the first requirement. Nevertheless, their code is much
shorter than a firewall/router, so, statistically they `should'
have less security bugs. But, wait and see...

-eric

PS: I'm just discussing generic topics about switches and not
only about my employeer's ones.