Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: firewalls and the incoming traffic problem

From: Phil Cox <pcc () llnl gov>
Date: Tue, 07 Oct 1997 12:08:18 -0700

At 12:15 PM 9/30/97 -0700, you wrote:

[removed comments]

respond to the attack is often limited. For ID techniques to work well in a
living breathing network, I believe we will see intrusion detection spread
out through the network, with the firewall being one of the many points of
input. Just as the firewall policy should be that which is not specifically
accepted is denied, IDS should learn by that model.

What is the thought on the ability to write a firewall specific IDS which
would use some type of meta language to define what was considered
"acceptable" for different services coming across a firewall. The the IDS
would flag or detect patterns which were considered normal or approved, and
the rest would be "problems" by default. This would give you the
"minimalist" stance in ID as well.

Thoughts and comments.

Phil