Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: strong encryption for Europeans

From: "Magossa'nyi A'rpa'd" <mag () bunuel tii matav hu>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 1997 21:39:18 +0100

On Mon, 27 Oct 1997, Ekaterina N. Ivannikova wrote:

Dear firewall experts,

I would like to know which options are available to Europeans with regard
to strong encryption VPNs. It appears that most of well known firewall
vendors are US companies and their VPNs are subjects to US law export
restrictions.
There is SKIP, with EnSKIP being the free counterpart.
You can tunnel a ppp connection through ssh.
There is a tool called fortify which can hack 128-bit DES into netscape.
Apache-ssl is a http server which can do strong encryption.
There is the ssleay library, which have all the routines recently used to do
strong encryption.
What is the state of laws regarding encryption in .ru? I thought it is
illegal there.
Another question: how strong is Check Point's FWZ1 ? What is its key
length ? Are there any estimates as to how breakable it is ? Our local FW-1
reseller could not enlighten me in the matter.
I don't know the answer. But I have a rule of thumb: If your local support
don't know your firewall search another one (of either the firewall or the
support).
BTW: I have another rules of thumb:
Do not use encryption which is exportable from the US.
Use a platform which you know.
/flame on
Stay away from winblows.
/flame off