Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: strong encryption for Europeans

From: Martin W Freiss <freiss.pad () sni de>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 97 15:42:05 MET

Hi,

I would like to know which options are available to Europeans with regard
to strong encryption VPNs. It appears that most of well known firewall
vendors are US companies and their VPNs are subjects to US law export
restrictions.

well, there are European firewall solutions, though they seem to be less
well known. Check http://www.swn.sni.be for one solution that does
not suffer from US export restrictions. Choice of RC4 and IDEA for VPN, up
to 128 bits. (Disclaimer: I work for that company, which makes me
biased, so I will not compare this to other products here).

Another question: how strong is Check Point's FWZ1 ? What is its key
length ? Are there any estimates as to how breakable it is ? Our local FW-1
reseller could not enlighten me in the matter.

48 Bits for the encryption, if I remember correctly. Not knowing
anything more about FWZ1, I won't hazard a guess as to the breakability :)

Best regards,

-Martin

--
 Martin Freiss, MF194   | freiss.pad () sni de | http://www.rmi.de/~marvin
 Siemens Nixdorf, CC IT Networks, Solution Team Internet/Intranet