Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Security Policy

From: Fred Donck <f.c.w.donck () siep shell com>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 1997 08:33:55 +0200

Wolfi,

In ch.6 of the SAGE booklet nr.2, 'A Guide to Developing Computer Policy
Documents', some useful resources are provided:

-----< Quote from the booklet >-------------

Archives and Direcories
-----------------------

COAST Security archive: archive of security related information which
include links to documents about policies, laws etc.
http:///www.cs.purdue.edu/coast/archive

IETF Internet Drafts: recent relevant works-in-progress here include an
update to the Site Security Handbook and a catalog of Internet training
material. http://www.internic.net/ds/dsintdrafts.html

SAGE Policy Archive: policy documents created using this guide I'm quoting
from. http://www.usenix.org/sage/hypertext/policies

State of Oregon vs. Randall Schwartz. Documentation on this case is
maintained by the Friends of Randal Schwartz. http://www.lightlink.com/fors

Articles, Papers & Books
------------------------

D.B. Chapman & E. D Zwicky, Building Internet Firewalls, O'Reilly &
Associates, Inc. 1995, pp. 377-392.

S. Hambridge & J.C> Sedayo, "Horses and Barn Doors: Evolution of Corporate
Guidelines for Internet Usage," USENIX LISA VII, 1993.
ftp://coast.cs.purdue.edu/pub/doc/institutional_policies/horses.ps.Z

S.E. Hanson, Legal issues: A Site Manager's Nightmare, Stanford University,
1993.
ftp://coast.cs.purdue.edu/pub/doc/law+ethics/legal_issues_site_managers_nightmare.txt.Z

P. Holbrook, J. Reynolds, RFC1244: Site Security Handbook, Internet IETF,
1991. ftp://ds.internic.net/rfc/rfc1244.txt

E. Nemeth, et al, Unix System Administration Handbook, 2nd. ed., Prentice
Hall, 1995, pp. 722-750

----< Unquote >----

Hope this helps,
Fred

Wolfgang 'Robyn' Braun wrote:

Greetings

I'm currently working here for this organisation in switzerland, one
of my main jobs being to come up with a (hopefully reliable) firewall
solution. So for some weeks now i read Chapman & Zwicky's book on
firewalls, various security related newsgroups and mailing lists and
chase every bit of information about firewall tools that i can find.

That's all ok so far. I made myself familiar with the tools i want to
use and tested them out on a subnet i set up especially for this
purpose.
But since i'm subscribed to firewall-wizards, i get the feeling that
something very basic is missing, and last night i found out what it
is: A Security Policy!

You can really find tons of information on how to set up your screening
routers, creating decent packet filter rules and setting up various
application level proxies. But so far i didn't find any information
on how to write a secuity policy - and i feel that it is rather important
to have one if only to show it to the pointy haired manager.

Don't get me wrong, i know what should be allowed across the firewall
and i know how to implement it (actually i already did it on my
private subnet) - but i really don't know how to write a security
policy. Is there some sort of guideline on how to write a security
policy?

regards
wolfi

--
-> Wolfgang Braun <braun () ai-lab fh-furtwangen de>
-> http://www2.ai-lab.fh-furtwangen.de/~braun

--
| Fred Donck                   | Voice/Fax : +31-70-311-2374           |