Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Security Policy

From: Bill_Royds () pch gc ca
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 1997 11:19:28 -0400

 What I did when we set up our firewall was make a set of policy matrices.
The main one was a list of services (with a short description) as rows and
with security domains as columns
Service        External  DMZ       Internal
--------
http |    to        to        from
ftp  |    to        to        from

etc.
Explaining the sources and sinks of possible connections.
Later matrices were expanded to have rules for every server on DMZ and any
particular rules (smtp was allowed into internal only from
a particular trusted server on DMZ acting as mail hub, etc.)  The table
format (using a spreadsheet)  helped explain the implications of the
implict
(Everybody allowed out, nobody allowed in) security policy.

braun () cassandra kiosk ch on 97-10-20 09:20:59 AM

Please respond to braun () cassandra kiosk ch