Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Altavista v TIS toolkit on Linux, which is better?

From: chuck yerkes <Chuck () yerkes com>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 1997 15:02:36 -0500 (EST)

It is claimed, but unverified, that Chris Booth wrote:
[...]
We don't have much money so I use as much freeware as possible, and I don't
have *any*  time.

Is Altavista firewall any good? how does it compare to the free TIS toolkit?

Is it possible to run Altavista firewall on Linux or am I expected to
purchase a Digital Unix box to run it on?

If I can run it on Linux is anybody willing to give a newbie some tips?

         +-------+
         | Fast  |
         | Cheap | <-- Pick two
         | Good  |
         +-------+

Let's see, you don't know anything about firewalls - never set
one up - don't want to spend anything and need it now.

Break down, buy a Gauntlet (runs on PC hardware you may own) and
let someone else set it up and teach you how to use it.

Do you really want to scrimp on this?  What's two+ weeks worth
to you?  What do you do with the backlog of work that will pile
up?  How good will it be?

The cost will be far less that the time you need to learn
firewalling and build up a good bastion.  You'll be happier;
it'll be cheaper the long run.

chuck