Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: R: strong encryption for Europeans

From: Adam Shostack <adam () homeport org>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 1997 14:54:40 -0500 (EST)

Perry E. Metzger wrote:

| Adam Shostack writes:
| >     Given that strong encryption is strong enough that you don't
| > need to worry about brute force, and that most of the strong
| > algorithms out there are faster than des, why use des?
|
| The analysis of 3DES is much better than that for most of the
| supposedly strong algorithms?

        True enough.  However, thats an argument for 3des, not for
des.  When avoiding des, there are two possible motivations: speed and
security.  If your motivation is speed, your analysis is probably
fautly.  However, if you really believe that speed is paramount, there
are better choices than DES.  If security is why you're using
cryptography, then 3des is a clear choice.  Didn't I list 3des in my
list of strong ciphers?

Adam

--
                                                       -Hume