Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Applet Proxy

From: Aleph One <aleph1 () dfw net>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 1997 18:24:27 -0600 (CST)

A while back I made a claim on NTSecurity that there was a product that
would proxy applets. In assence run them in a box outside the firewall
while displaying them in the browers inside. Bill Stout called me on it. I
went looking through my papers and could not find the reference... until
now. One company with such a product is Digitivy
(http://www.digitivity.com). Their product, CAGE, does exactly this. I
would not be surprised to see firewall vendors incorporate the technology
and new features such as ActiveX proxing.

BTW, this is also good for the end user. For example if you could not use
before an applet that needed to make a database connection to a remote
server because your firewall did not allow connections on a certain port
now you could run the same applets without problems.

Aleph One / aleph1 () dfw net
http://underground.org/
KeyID 1024/948FD6B5
Fingerprint EE C9 E8 AA CB AF 09 61  8C 39 EA 47 A8 6A B8 01