Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Wingate?

From: "Magossa'nyi A'rpa'd" <mag () bunuel tii matav hu>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 1997 11:17:26 +0100

On Mon, 8 Dec 1997, -= ArkanoiD =- wrote:

nuqneH,

Does anybody have expirience with software product named "Wingate"? It seems to
be something like cheap entry-level firewall system for Windows 95 and NT.
People often do ask me if they need a "real" firewall or Wingate is enough for
them. So the questions are how good is it from the viewpoint of
Once upon a time I made a linux/fwtk setup for a friend, who had wingate
before. There had been no security consideration, it was only because he had
1 IP address for 5 machines. That friend was a windows type, but still
wasn't content with the quality of that thing.

a) security
Security on a NT box? You should be kidding. Once more:
NT IS NOT MATURE ENOUGH. DOT.
b) control and monitoring features
dunno
c) protocol support
It wasn't transparent for example. Maybe got better from that time?
d) administration
As I recall it was one of the concerns: my friend just couldn't do things
he wanted.
e) performance
There had been 28.8, so I dunno. But bet:)
  f) stability
It died every once and then.

If you want a cheap entry level firewall, pick sf1 or fwtk and your favourite
free OS.

---
GNU GPL: csak tiszta forrásból