Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: [External] Re: [SECURITY] Top 3 "hot topics" for CYBERSECURITY

From: "Gregg, Christopher S." <csgregg () STTHOMAS EDU>
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2021 13:09:45 +0000

Nathan's Top 2 below are right up there for us, along with:

3a. Growing requirements and expectations around privacy (and privacy related compliance).  For small to medium sized
universities like ours, there is not a separate privacy function so security seems to be the default landing spot.

3b. Vendor management and risk assessment.  Since more and more we don't host the systems being used by our university,
tracking, managing, and assessing the risk of our IT vendors has become critical and never ending.  This can be related
to ransomware since our vendors can be affected by ransomware as well, or contribute to our vulnerability to it.

I would also call out the 2021 EDUCAUSE Horizon Report : Information Security Edition from February that contains a lot
of information on security trends and forecasts:
https://library.educause.edu/resources/2021/2/2021-educause-horizon-report-information-security-edition

Thanks,

Chris

Chris Gregg
Associate Vice President of Information Security & Risk Management, CISO
Innovation & Technology Services (ITS)
csgregg () stthomas edu<mailto:csgregg () stthomas edu>
p 1 (651) 962-6265
University of St. Thomas | stthomas.edu<https://www.stthomas.edu/>