Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: China's Data Security Law - Sept 1st

From: Cathy Hubbs <hubbs () AMERICAN EDU>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2021 16:48:15 +0000

Thanks Chad.
it’s been quiet in terms of responses to my question. I did, however, receive the following response a separate
discussion thread.

“We have followed the duo of laws for the last few months. For the privacy portion, we are continuing along with our
general privacy readiness efforts. Our readiness efforts are designed to get us substantially in compliance with many
of the newer privacy legislations in other countries (China, Brazil, etc.) along with ethical privacy principles, and
PIPL one doesn’t appear to have anything significantly out of line with that plan. Two things we are keeping a closer
eye on:  1) how the Chinese security assessments required for cross-border transfers of large amounts of data by CII
operators will go, and 2) what, if any, standard contract clauses will be released/approved for use. “

Cathy