Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: URL re-writing in emails

From: "Bole, Jim A" <jbole () ALBANY EDU>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2021 19:27:49 +0000

I’ve started shifting the education/training focus away from looking at the links themselves. Even legitimate links for
GoogleDrive, OneDirive, etc. are difficult to determine if they are legit or not.

I’ve tried focusing mostly on context, which requires more common sense than technical expertise. Are you expecting an
email from Wells Fargo? Do you have an account with Amazon? On the “technical” side, I ask people to look at the
sender, especially how to differentiate between the display name and the actual smtp address.

Jim Bole
Chief Information Security Officer
University at Albany