Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

URL re-writing in emails

From: Ravi Kotecha <kotechar () BRANDEIS EDU>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2021 18:13:05 -0500

Greetings,

I'm curious about your experiences using tools that rewrite URLs in emails.
We have Proofpoint's suite and one of the features rewrites URLs in emails
with an https://urldefense.com/ prefix and clicking the link will pass
through Proofpoint's servers.

One piece of feedback we received in a pilot was that we had been teaching
folks to hover over URLs to determine the destination before clicking
links. With re-writing, all links are changed for external sites so that
advice is no longer reliable.

I'm interested in experiences others have had using this feature. For
example:
- Have you received negative feedback? If so, how have you addressed it?
- How have you augmented awareness training?
- Are there any success stories you wish to share?

Thanks in advance,
Ravi Kotecha
kotechar () brandeis edu
--