Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Duo enforcement for students

From: "Chester, Heather" <htomley () LUC EDU>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2020 20:06:15 +0000

Kristen,
Thank you for asking.  It depends on what you’d like to put into it, if you have project managers, and what
communication channels/support you may have.

The weekly enablement emails can be a lot of work but it’s very helpful to have a balanced enablement spread out over a
couple months and let leaders decide when to enable their groups.  We are fortunate b/c we had a dedicated PM and were
able to get another resource to help with creating / refreshing the not-enrolled distribution groups, (b/c some people
would have self-enrolled). The PM also created a lot of the marketing materials and shared with over 15 different
communication touch points to help get the word out (newsletters, social media, weekly faculty communications,
orientation materials, high traffic app log-in pages mentioning MFA required).  If you can create generic
communications (for faculty, staff, and students), and obtain support from campus partners with sending out the
communications on a schedule, that would be immensely helpful. Perhaps you could share a general communication for the
different communication channels to share, with their own emphasis (you just need a tag line – our tag line was “MFA
protects you even if your password becomes compromised”).

We are very lucky as collaboration and buy-in is very important across our institution and several academic and
operational groups were committed to schedule a “best week” or “best month” for their areas to be enabled.

You would need:
1 presentation at the Cabinet, requesting support
1 email for the Dean’s Council, requesting support (and that they can share with their schools)
1 email that you will be sending individually to each academic leader or operations leader requesting their support to
schedule their division/group
1 email for the university community mentioning the kickoff and why the university is enabling MFA (formalizing what to
expect, hi-level)
A couple marketing ideas about how to pitch MFA (we mentioned, “MFA is required for the Fall.  Enroll today!
https://www.luc.edu/its/services/mfa/ “) or (“Get double the protection with MFA.  Enroll today”).
1 enablement email that you will send three times
A PM or IT resource to dedicate 20% of their time to coordinating the work, creation / deployment of the marketing
materials, running weekly project mtgs to address any concerns/issues, create distribution groups for not-enrolled
users.

On another note, from our research, several other universities have deployed with a big bang approach and usually see
an impact to the service desk for 2-3 days.  With all the “change” around the pandemic, we wanted as little “new” to
people’s adoption to technology and security, while ensuring the value of enabling MFA remained high (which we’ve even
received several likes on social media, which was a bonus).  Another smaller institution deployed as we also deployed
and they mentioned it was very helpful with providing a balanced approach that was very supportive across the
university community.  Happy to discuss further if it may help.

Thank you,
Heather
htomley () luc edu<mailto:htomley () luc edu>