Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Duo enforcement for students

From: "Chester, Heather" <htomley () LUC EDU>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2020 13:50:13 +0000

First off, many thanks to the Educause community for constantly sharing.  There was a wealth of information we used to
plan our roll-out.  We focused on a very collaborative deployment and balancing impact to the Service Desk. See
attached/below and use if helpful.

We had a roll-out plan over 5 months, for active faculty, staff, students.  We also requested Student Development,
Deans of Schools, and Leaders of Staff Divisions to identify when would be the best time for their group to enable MFA
over a couple weeks (and remind them that anyone could opt-in at any time ahead of time).  We enabled groups of people
weekly (comm outline below).  Due to COVID, we deferred our initial launch plans (Jan thru May, now May-Sept).

Overview
Pilot with internal IT teams (2 or 3 enablement’s)
Pilot “friendly” operations non-IT groups that use ITS service often (to gain a wider university perspective)
Presented the launch of MFA to the Cabinet (and sent additional communications to Dean’s Council of this initiative)
and Global Comm to University this would be required
Sought partnership with Student Development, Deans of Schools, and Leaders of Staff Divisions when would be best for
their areas to be enabled during this timeframe (gave 2 weeks to respond. Goal was to have all groups scheduled within
2-3 weeks & deploy over 4 mo’s).
Roll-out over 4 months, first with faculty after graduation (May/June), then staff (June and July), then students
(June/July/early August). Moved all inactive accounts over the course of the deployment, or new accounts as they were
enabled.
Communicated through 5-7 unique channels (faculty, staff, and student) encouraging self-enrollment (even before
required by scheduled group dates, which drove adoption).
Had video’s, we have detailed step-by-step instructions, and FAQ’s on the website, and offered weekly Zoom Drop-In
sessions on Monday & Tuesday (and offered individuals to schedule a 1-1 walk thru with Info Security Office)

Weekly Enablement’s
Example, on Monday 6/1 we emailed individuals mentioning they would be enabled the following Wednesday 6/10 at 9am
(which gave users 10 days to self-enroll)
Example, on Monday 6/8 we emailed individuals mentioning they would be enabled the following Wednesday 6/10 at 9am
(which gave users 2 days to self-enroll)
Example, on Tuesday 6/9 we emailed individuals mentioning they would be enabled the following Wednesday 6/10 at 9am
(which gave users 1 day to self-enroll, final reminder)

Due to COVID, we changed our deployment, however, the increased security for our online community was important to
everyone so the timing did not matter as much.  We did still take into consideration, avoiding Students, Faculty, and
Student Service (Bursar, Reg&Rec, etc) around 2 weeks before & after start of school, which was preferred. We avoided
staff around start of school too and avoided staff around annual enrollment (as part of our initial planning) or end of
year around 2 weeks before & after end of year, that is preferred.

Thank you,
Heather

Heather Tomley Chester, MBA, MEd, PMP, ITIL, MSIT (Spring 2021)
ITS Sr. Project Manager
Loyola University of Chicago

[LUC 150 logo]