Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: STINGAR in recent report from McAfee

From: Jesse Bowling <jesse.bowling () DUKE EDU>
Date: Mon, 7 Dec 2020 15:33:05 +0000

On Dec 7, 2020, at 9:16 AM, Brian Kelly <bkelly () educause edu> wrote:

Great recognition for the #STINGAR project and Jesse Bowling's team from Duke University in this McAfee report. See
page 31

https://www.mcafee.com/enterprise/en-us/assets/reports/rp-hidden-costs-of-cybercrime.pdf

Thanks Brian! As with most of what we do, this was a team effort, and while I have been the most visible (loudest? :) )
member of the STINGAR team, this report is the culmination of a lot of individuals' effort:

Gagandeep Kaur: Author of all the data analysis and beautiful graphs!
Richard Biever: Initial draft of the prose for Appendix E
Zhanna Malekos Smith: Former STINGAR team member, now contributing at CSIS and lifting the heavy load of editing
Richard!
Dr. Mark Delong, Dr. John Board, and Alexander Merck: Additional technical and editing contributions

For those that are interested in the STINGAR project, please visit us at https://stingar.security.duke.edu for more
information on the project and participation. Using the CommunityHoneyNetwork software to deploy honeypots and gather
data on your own network is free (and, we hope, quite easy!). Participation in the real-time data exchange which was
free during the two year NSF grant, does now require a sliding scale fee but it is quite modest and based on the
operating budget for your institution. For instance, smaller institutions with less than $100 million/year operating
budget can join the exchange for $0/year.

Thanks again for highlighting the work Brian, and I hope we can continue to grow this project, which has shown great
benefit to participants!

Cheers,

Jesse

Brian Kelly, CISSP, CISM, CEH
Director, Cybersecurity Program
bkelly () educause edu

EDUCAUSE
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good
Follow HEISC on LinkedIn | Twitter: @HEISCouncil

direct: 475.449.6440 | educause.edu
1150 18th Street, NW, Suite 900 Washington, DC 20036

<rp-hidden-costs-of-cybercrime.pdf>

--
Jesse Bowling
ITSO::Security Architect & CSIRT Program Manager