Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Phishing Paranoia

From: Jason Edelstein <jasone () UCHICAGO EDU>
Date: Fri, 4 Dec 2020 09:54:38 -0600

We've gotten this, too - even to the point of people using our Proofpoint "report a phish" button to report their own junkmail summaries or official content from bulkmailing services used. My personal favorite are the reports of our president's periodic but entirely plaintext emails.

What we do is twofold:

1. We absorb the reports and do not tell people, "Don't report this!" Instead, we try to take some time and say, "Thanks for this report, but this one is legit. Why did you report it?" and then have an additional learning moment. This reduces the ratio of overzealous folks.

2. Routinely tell distributed IT and divisional folks to proactively educate their users on what is legit, forming a second layer of shielding. If a department's admin team or power users are aware of the official channels, it can help spread awareness outside the routine training campaign.

We still have one department chair who forwards emails to us (he won't use the reporting button, it is a source of awe to me) and almost all of them are legitimate. We eventually wrote an automatic reply template to echo #1 as an email so it's click, paste, next ticket.

-je-