Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: [SECURITY] Endpoint protection vendors

From: "Bridges, Robert A." <0000008d8011d045-dmarc-request () LISTSERV EDUCAUSE EDU>
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2020 21:07:21 +0000

FWIW, the AI ATAC 1 challenge
https://www.challenge.gov/challenge/artificial-intelligence-applications-to-autonomous-cybersecurity-challenge/

was the largest scale test of these tools to our knowledge.

Winner was announced last spring:

https://www.fireeye.com/blog/products-and-services/2020/03/fireeye-supports-cyber-security-non-profits-with-navwar-ai-challenge-earnings.html

Worth noting that the challenge required no cloud connections, as I think is required for Crowdstrike.

Research results show that it is worth running an endpoint signature-based detector AND an ML-based detector as they
complement each other and all varieties of both are relatively low true positive rates (relative to what salesmen/
-women often tout).

Also consider the Mitre Evaluation:

https://attackevals.mitre-engenuity.org/APT3/results/fireeye/

Robert A. Bridges, PhD
Acting Cybersecurity Research Group Leader
Oak Ridge National Laboratory