Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Blacklisting XYZ Domains

From: Jesse Bowling <jesse.bowling () DUKE EDU>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2020 00:06:49 +0000

Hi Ashley,

I read this as inquiring specifically about the TLD .xyz . I can say that many folks I know in other industries DO
block the entire TLD. That said, I personally use one site in xyz, so I'd say the odds of someone complaining about
such a block would be pretty good in the EDU space.

However from a risk/reward perspective: if you have the ability to quickly unblock specific subdomains I would
certainly accept the risk. If you should happen to have visibility into queries emanating from your networks, you could
likely identify any current legitimate use, provide exemptions from the start, and minimize any complaints.

As others have mentioned specific methods for blocking domains, I would add that users always find a way; block it via
RPZ on your resolvers, they'll change their resolvers. Block via border poisoning, and more will opt into DoH
providers, such as Firefox's default of Cloudflare. Users of Chrome, also using the Google public DNS servers may be
pleasantly surprised to find Chrome will upgrade their DNS lookups to DoT automatically. Both of these last two methods
will circumvent your controls, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't try.

But I digress into a discussion on the modern
"DNS wars", which was not the subject at hand...I'll tell the interested readers to google "Paul Vixie DNS over HTTPS"
and leave it at that. 🙂

Cheers,

Jesse
Sent from a tiny device