Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Who is using Passphrase over 16 characters

From: "Gregory, Christopher" <CGREGORY () HWS EDU>
Date: Fri, 4 Sep 2020 22:11:06 +0000

Hello Cathy,
We have stuck with the NIST guidelines (8 character minimum) and focused on a defense-in-depth approach in hopes a
compromised password is less likely to cause a full-blown breach. In our experience, passwords are most likely to be
compromised through some other vector (phishing...<sigh>) rather than guessed or brute-forced, thus negating the
effectiveness of length/complexity.

Our mitigation approach consists of account lockout on every system that will support it, and we are pushing all on
premise and cloud services to MFA as quickly as our populations can stomach it. We also try - with mixed results - to
"encourage" participation in security awareness training.

I think the password policy approach an org takes is much like the, "What's better, Coke or Pepsi" argument. Yes,
password phrases are certainly preferred as they can be longer and are easier to remember, but I'm of the (perhaps
unpopular) opinion that long passwords - unless they are complex and non-dictionary - create more risks than they
mitigate.

For those of you going 12+ characters, do you enforce password history/uniqueness? Complexity?

Have a quiet weekend,
Chris

Christopher Gregory | CCIE, CISSP
Network & Cyber Security Architect