Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Identifying 3 CyberSecurity Literacy Topics for Students

From: Eric Weakland <eric () AMERICAN EDU>
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2020 19:07:59 +0000

I like a lot of the ideas I’m seeing.  My two shekels.

  1.  phishing/be critical thinkers online – These are closely related.  Phishing relies on abusing your trust – there
are TONs of folks in this world who’s goal is to do so.  Learn to be a skeptical email reader, reader of things in
general in this online circus we call the internet.

2) passwords and mfa - never share, longer better, mfa best.  Your credentials are for you, and you alone: realize –
you may be held accountable for their use! You should never share them, and they need to be strong – longer is better
and MFA is best.
3) remember!  Privacy is your responsibility - online is often forever, think, “Are you ok with everything you post
being shown to potential employers, folks doing a security clearance?”

Eric Weakland, CISSP, CISM, CRISC, ITIL
Director, Information Security
Office of Information Technology
American University
eric at american.edu<http://american.edu/>
o)202.885.2241
c)202.215.3453
Look for Clawed when you log into the MyAU Portal! Check the address before you log in!
[cid:image001.png@01D674A8.316B6D60]