Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Warning about malicious spoof Microsoft emails

From: Curt Kappenman <ckappenman () ANDERSONUNIVERSITY EDU>
Date: Thu, 2 Apr 2020 15:12:20 +0000

Our university has started to receive emails that appear to be from Microsoft that are not.  We have been receiving
emails from account-security-noreply () accountprotection microsoft com<mailto:account-security-noreply ()
accountprotection microsoft com> for the past few years.  These emails originate from Microsoft owned IP addresses and
are part of the Office 365 tenant.  Recently (as of March 22, 2020) we have started receiving emails that seem to come
from this same email address but are coming from non-Microsoft owned IP addresses.  I have yet to establish a pattern
of IP’s but I wanted to warn everyone that uses Microsoft Office365 or exchange to be aware of this issue.

For us, Microsoft has ATP but my P1 license does not allow the service to run even though Microsoft lets you configure
it (so you think the protection is active).

If anyone can give me some good suggestions of ways to block these emails (I have turned off all whitelists for
Microsoft.com email addresses and made specific blocks for the currently identified IP addresse3s of senders) I would
get very appreciative.

Curt Kappenman
Security Compliance Officer
316 Boulevard, Anderson, SC 29621
Phone: (864) 231-2850
ckappenman () andersonuniversity edu<mailto:ckappenman () andersonuniversity edu>