Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Fwd: Oct 2-4, 2020: Online Intercollegiate Social Engineering Competition

From: "Von Welch (Work)" <von () VONWELCH COM>
Date: Tue, 19 May 2020 13:37:45 -0400

An opportunity for undergraduates, explicitly includes non-STEM students. Von

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Rege, Aunshul" <rege () temple edu>
Subject: [External] Oct 2-4, 2020: Online Intercollegiate Social Engineering Competition
Date: May 19, 2020 at 12:18:14 PM EDT

Dear educator/student/colleague,

Temple University and Layer 8 Conference are hosting the FIRST ever Intercollegiate Social Engineering (SE)
Competition and Training Event COMPLETELY ONLINE from Oct 2 to 4, 2020 in light of the covid-19 pandemic! We have
secured six professional social engineers to serve as judges, who have multiple years of experience and are eager to
engage with students! Visit sites.temple.edu/socialengineering <http://sites.temple.edu/socialengineering> for
details.

Please note that this is NOT a technical CTF like CCDC, CPTC, etc. Given that the human factor is considered to be
the weakest link in cyberattacks, and that SE is often used to conduct reconnaissance before an attack (and even to
maintain a cyberattack), this event emphasizes the human element in the cyberattack/security equation. This is the
first such event hosted by a US institution of higher education that is purely dedicated to SE.

We are inviting undergraduate student teams from ALL fields (not limited to STEM students) to participate as SE
impacts everyone. Students are encouraged to assemble a team and participate. Given that this is a virtual event,
international undergraduate student teams can also compete. Eligibility details at
sites.temple.edu/socialengineering/eligibility/ <http://sites.temple.edu/socialengineering/eligibility/>.

Applications are now being accepted (May 18 - June 6) at: sites.temple.edu/socialengineering/team-registration/
<http://sites.temple.edu/socialengineering/team-registration/>

Please email me at rege () temple edu <mailto:rege () temple edu> if you have any questions or concerns. This is part
of the education and outreach efforts of my NSF CAREER grant #1453040.

Best regards,

Aunshul Rege
-------------------------------
Aunshul Rege, Ph.D., Associate Professor
Trusted CI Open Science Cybersecurity Fellow 2019 <https://blog.trustedci.org/2019/04/Fellows-2019.html>
Department of Criminal Justice | Temple University
Phone: 215-204-1671 |  <>Email: rege () temple edu <mailto:rege () temple edu>
Web: dr-rege.com <http://dr-rege.com/> | Twitter: @Prof_Rege
Research Website: https://sites.temple.edu/care/ <https://sites.temple.edu/care/>

CURRENT RESEARCH

NSF CAREER: Applying a Criminological Framework to Understand Adaptive Adversarial Decision-Making Processes in
Critical Infrastructure Cyberattacks <https://www.nsf.gov/awardsearch/showAward?AWD_ID=1453040&HistoricalAwards=false>

 <https://www.nsf.gov/awardsearch/showAward?AWD_ID=1742747&HistoricalAwards=false>
NSF EAGER: Collaborative: A Criminology-Based Simulation of Dynamic Adversarial Behavior in Cyberattacks
<https://www.nsf.gov/awardsearch/showAward?AWD_ID=1742747&HistoricalAwards=false>