Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: [EXTERNAL] [SECURITY] FIDO2 keys and MFA

From: "Telfer, Will" <Will_Telfer () BAYLOR EDU>
Date: Tue, 12 May 2020 16:52:29 +0000

At Baylor University we also elected to go with Duo, but we did trial Microsoft Authenticator for some email accounts
to see how it functioned (at the time we elected to integrate Office 365 with Duo so that users did not have to learn a
new MFA system). When we first instituted Duo, we provided Duo Hardware Tokens to the less than 10 Faculty & Staff that
did not have a mobile device. Currently, our campus bookstore offers them for sale & we only provide them in
emergencies (usually the Help Desk assigns a Bypass Code unless there is some long term circumstance requiring a
permanent token). In those instances I recommend a U2F device first as they are a bit cheaper than the Duo Hardware
Tokens. Since we allow phone call, as well as SMS passcode authentication, we have not had too many issues with folks
being able to use Duo to log into our 60+ services (including Office 365, which includes email).

Thank You,
Will Telfer, M.S.
Information Security Analyst
Information Technology Services

Follow BaylorITS & look for the #BearAware:
Twitter: @BaylorITS
Facebook: facebook.com/BaylorITS