Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Lab for Cybersecurity Program

From: "DERUSSO, VINCENT" <DERUSSOV () MAIL STROSE EDU>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2020 15:53:34 +0000

Our Computer Science department now has a new Cybersecurity program and has come to us about setting up a lab for them
to do hands on testing.  From my research, I've found a couple of articles on possible solutions but none go into much
details.  I was wondering if anyone has setup a Cybersecurity Lab that might be willing to answer some of these
questions and provide any additional advise/gotchas to watch out for while we look into this.

1.        Is your lab 100% isolated from the rest of the campus and internet?

a.       If yes, do you have any computer in the room that has internet access?

b.       If no, explain how you have it segregated?

2.       Do the students just use the computers for the testing or do you have VM's that they can connect into on those
machines?

a.       If VM's, do you allow those VM's to be accessed remotely or do they need to be physically in that lab to use
those VM's?

b.       What software/hardware are you using to host those VM's and is that hardware physically in that room or in
another room but on the same network as the lab computers?

3.       Amount of ram used on the physical PC's and on a teacher computer if different from student PC's.

Any other information that will help us build out this lab would be greatly appreciated as well.  Thank you for your
time.

[Vince DeRusso, MBA - Sr. Network Administrator - Communications Systems | 432 Western Ave. Albany, NY 12203 | o:
518.458.5414 | strose.edu]
This communication may contain confidential information that is otherwise protected from disclosure. If you received
this communication in error, please contact me immediately and destroy the material in its entirety.