Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Open source SIEM

From: "Powell, Andy" <ap16 () WILLIAMS EDU>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2020 12:43:38 -0500

Hi all, I've been following along with great interest on this topic, having
come from corp environments where I've deployed, tuned, used (and enjoyed!)
a variety of commercial SIEMs (QRadar, NetWitness, Exabeam DL/AA).

Dave, I'm somewhat surprised by your suggestion...MSSPs are an increasingly
attractive target
<https://krebsonsecurity.com/2019/12/ransomware-at-it-services-provider-synoptek/>
for attackers, as the bad guys know they represent the most bang for their
bitcoin. Unless you are speaking about Higher Ed MSSPs only (are there such
things?), why would you want to throw your investigative abilities into the
same pool as those corporate targets that a MSSP also serves?

I think this introduces more risk, setting aside the conversation of prompt
alerting, secure log transport, ad-hoc investigations (you don't want to
pay for), etc. The idea that logging and monitoring is sacrosanct (but
still over UDP? Hmm..) means it is too important to ship off to an MSSP,
imho.

Back to the topic at hand, we're looking at ELK stack, and thanks to this
thread I'm researching MozDef too. Secure Onion is known to me and is
currently my fall back plan. This will all play out over the next 12
months, ideally.

However, Dave infers a brilliant point...define your business
requirements...write them down, and as you evaluate any solution, you'll
have that to refer back to, ensuring it's not the tool you choose but the
capability it provides. Best of luck!

On Wed, Feb 12, 2020 at 12:17 PM David Eilken <