Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Open source SIEM

From: Kevin Wilcox <wilcoxkm () APPSTATE EDU>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2020 15:56:53 -0500

On Tue, 11 Feb 2020 at 13:49, Zepu Chen <zepu.chen () denison edu> wrote:

We are researching the possibility to implement an open-source SIEM
solution at our University. The project we are currently reviewing is
MozDef from Mozilla. Does anyone currently have MozDef or other open-source
SIEM implemented in your environment? How are the implementation and
operations experience so far?
We are interested in seeing what other schools are doing. We would greatly
appreciate it if you would be kind enough to share any pitfalls,
constraints and roadblocks as well as implementation recommendations.

We have been big fans of Elastic (formerly "ELK", aka "Elastic Stack").

We're still on the smaller side, yesterday we consumed about 425 GB of data
(about 525 million logs). Our outlay has been in server hardware but we use
"free" Elastic. I'm happy to talk deployment specs if you decide you're
leaning that way.

You're going to run into some myths commonly spouted by "Big SIEM" and
those who have succumbed to their propaganda =), regardless of what you
decide to do, so let's put some of those to rest.

1) Going with an open source SIEM is a time sink

The reality: SIEM is a time sink, regardless of the product. Log
aggregation is a time sink, regardless of the product, if you want it to be
effective and efficient. If you go with Splunk + ES, you're going to have
to deploy Splunk and learn how to manage it - and then you're going to have
time on top of that learning ES and helping it normalise your custom logs
and working on translation tables and... There is no useful commercial vs
OSS comparison here because you're going to need to invest human time in
learning how to run whatever you get.

2) It's unsupported

The reality: most major OSS SIEM vendors have paid support options -
Elastic offer it, GrayLog offer it, AlienVault offer it. You want it? You
got it.

3) Nothing integrates with it

The reality: most things speak syslog/event channel or can output json, and
that's really all you need. Working in a Windows shop and things log to
event channels? No problem. A Linux or Unix shop with
syslog/rsyslog/syslog-ng? Fine, you're covered. Custom application writing
a text file or to an event channel? No big deal. Don't like the agent your
OSS or proprietary SIEM uses? Fine, use NXLog (and you can pay them for
support) - it speaks syslog and reads from event channels, can encapsulate
in json, lets you filter noise on the endpoint. Integration isn't the
problem, folks who "broken record" about no integration without testing the
waters in the last decade are the problem.

4) It can't handle the load/it's slow

The reality: see my 425 GB of data, 525 million events yesterday comment.
We're a small shop. You should see the numbers for some other Elastic
schools...or for companies like Mandiant, for that matter.

5) The system administration costs are too high

The reality: unless I'm patching the OS or doing an Elastic version
upgrade, I don't do sys-admin work - and most update processes should be
automated anyway. OS updates + reboots across the entire environment take
about an hour total - the bulk of that is waiting for systems to finish
booting. We could cut that down to fifteen minutes but stretching it over
an hour+ lets us do reboots without affecting usage. Yes, I was a
Unix/Linux admin in a previous life so I make sure that's a skill our SOC
keeps.

6) It's too much effort to tune

The reality: see 1 and 5. Tuning of _any_ SIEM should be an ongoing
process. The biggest reason SIEMs fail is lack of executive support (read:
they don't devote the necessary resources), the second biggest reason is
that people think they're "set and forget" (arguably related to reason
number one...). They're not. There's a large oil company with over 500
people devoted to maintaining and tuning their proprietary SIEM. Expect to
have someone devoted to SIEM "stuff", regardless of what you do.

===============

All of that said, there _ARE_ legit criticisms of Open Source SIEMs. Most
of them have horrible, or no, out of the box dashboards or meaningful
alerts. Take a look at things like DSIEM, HELK, SecurityOnion and the Sigma
project (for alert normalisation and sharing in a common syntax). There are
options missing in the "free" versions - Elastic, for example, don't give
you access to their granular permission system, SAML or their "machine
learning" options unless you give them money, but you can build a 500-node
cluster consuming petabytes per day if you can get the hardware for it.

Okiedoke, that's me off my soapbox 8^)

Good luck in your search!!

kmw