Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Questions Regarding Student Use of Personal Email

From: "Cap, Brianne" <Brianne.Cap () DEVRY EDU>
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2020 18:28:38 +0000

We are reviewing our email policies and currently allow our students to use their personal email addresses when
conducting school business. Having attended both a traditional university and online university myself, I can see the
pros and cons of both a university-issued email and allowing the use of personal emails. I am trying to understand what
best practice is before making a recommendation to my CIO.

My questions are as follows:

-        Does your university allow students to use their personal email addresses when communicating with the
organization?

-        How long do you keep alumni accounts active?

-        How about email accounts belonging to Visiting Professors?

Thank you in advance for your insight.

Regards,

Brianne Cap | Sr. Program Manager, Information Security
P 630.799.0135 | M 630.881.7518 | E brianne.cap () devry edu
1200 E. Diehl Rd. | Naperville, IL 60563 | devry.edu<http://devry.edu/>

[cid:image001.jpg@01D5DB56.A044EE00]