Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Account purge and reissue...

From: "Jones, Mark B" <Mark.B.Jones () UTH TMC EDU>
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2019 18:02:44 +0000

You need something like TIER:
https://www.internet2.edu/vision-initiatives/initiatives/trust-identity-educ
ation-research/

. that includes a Person Registry.

From: The EDUCAUSE Security Community Group Listserv
<SECURITY () LISTSERV EDUCAUSE EDU> On Behalf Of Kimmitt, Jonathan
Sent: Wednesday, October 9, 2019 11:38 AM
To: SECURITY () LISTSERV EDUCAUSE EDU
Subject: [SECURITY] Account purge and reissue...

**** EXTERNAL EMAIL ****

Hi all,

  We have run into an issue where we are wanting to purge user accounts from
our active directory, but the process we are currently using also purges
them from our ERP (the username and associated email) from the record (to
never be known again).

  I am curious:

1.       How other institutions do this

2.       if they have run into any issues with reissuing the account to a
new user (and the privacy issues along with that)

3.       do you blacklist your accounts to prevent reissue for a number of
years?

Thoughts?

-Jonathan

~

Jonathan Kimmitt

CISSP, PCIP, CEH, CIPM, GPEN, CIPT, CIPP/E

Chief Information Security Officer

Information Technology

The University of Tulsa

918.631.2743

Jonathan-kimmitt () utulsa edu <mailto:Jonathan-kimmitt () utulsa edu>

nity&d=DwMFAg&c=bKRySV-ouEg_AT-w2QWsTdd9X__KYh9Eq2fdmQDVZgw&r=Lgw4Sh6g47kM5A
_tpEcLZDyPGvmOKdeDlyp60PwA78c&m=r5FGKEj9cD6lHa8T7mUvFPg6BqGWO-rGoBAzlgYXVuU&
s=J4yBrOJ4vhUAgKIO1UhoFPNHGrcE2IyMueccaa02c7A&e=>