Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Gmail confidential mode

From: WALTER KERNER <walter_kerner () FITNYC EDU>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2019 09:33:29 -0400

Great question!  We are meeting with Legal, Compliance, and other offices
to figure out our stance on this.

On Tue, Aug 27, 2019 at 7:11 AM Jared Evans <jared.evans () gallaudet edu>
wrote:

We have gotten an inquiry from the The Office of the Registrar about Gmail
confidential mode.  Have any of you enabled this feature for your Google
Apps users?  Were there any pitfalls or things to watch out for?

It looks to have no impact on e-discovery for emails originating from
Gallaudet.

Google Vault will still have a copy of the actual message, as long as it
was initially sent by someone here at Gallaudet.   If it was received from
outside, Vault will only show the email header and subject but not the
message itself.
https://support.google.com/vault/answer/9000913

It's possible to block confidential mode emails incoming from other Google
Apps domains, if we opt to do that:
https://support.google.com/a/answer/7684332#blockincoming

--

Jared Evans