Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Security for vendors that manage student data

From: "Kimmitt, Jonathan" <jonathan-kimmitt () UTULSA EDU>
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2019 14:03:06 +0000

Hi all,

  When you are evaluating a 3rd party vendors to process/manage your student data, specifically if you are transferring
the data to them in a feed/file transfer, what security requirements do you require or look for in the MSA for that
company?

I have a checklist that external counsel and I created years ago, looking for a handful of specific things.

One of them is specifically:

      12.  Do you have external evaluation of your systems, processes, and/or code (that deals with our student data)
by qualified security assessors (Penetration Testing, 3rd party code review, SOC2 analysis, etc)

If the company responds with 'No', I am very cautious about the company.  It does not necessarily mean we won't use
them, but I do explain to the department my reservations.

I wanted to get thoughts from the group on if you do something similar when evaluating Master Service Agreements for
your University?

-Jonathan

~
Jonathan Kimmitt
CISSP, PCIP, CEH, CIPM, GPEN, CIPT, CIPP/E
Chief Information Security Officer
Information Technology
The University of Tulsa
918.631.2743