Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: WAF

From: Jason Edelstein <jasone () UCHICAGO EDU>
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2019 18:06:30 -0500

We do not ubiquitously use WAFs for precisely that quoted reason. We have an IPS and classical firewall, though they aren't analogous, of course.

Most I've seen are temperamental, hard to maintain or costly, and generally are a tier removed from where we believe the biggest risks are. If we just patch Oracle stuff harder, we don't need to introduce another potentially brittle link in the infrastructure. Our general stance is that a WAF is gold plating for most parts of our security program - especially when a lot of our major systems are cloud-based and vendors have their own security programs.

Cheers,
-je