Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: IAM solution - cloud-based?

From: "Ben Singh (OculusIT)" <ben_singh () OCULUSIT COM>
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2019 22:13:22 +0000

Jared,
Do you have a DIA with redundant links that have different upstream providers?
If not, if your non-redundant link is down, your cloud-IAM will be down for campus users and services that local
datacenter services depend on it will also be down.

  1.  Get more than 99.9% uptime commitment from cloud-IAM providers. I would target 99.999% and back down to 99.99%.
(The problem is that AWS or similarusually only commits to 99.9%.)
  2.  Make sure you have as much network redundancy as possible to AWS VPCs or similar.

Just because it is an on-prem solution doesn’t mean it better from an availability standpoint. Risks for on-prem are
datacenter (network (load balancers, firewalls, routers, switches), server, virtualization, OS, storage, etc)
availability.

Many legacy IAM vendors are quickly trying to rearchitect/rebuild their products from on-premise to multi-tenant cloud
solutions.

Generally, we would recommend a cloud-based IAM solution with some redundancy risk analysis. There are only a few
exceptions where we have recommended an on-premise solution. Those exceptions include when a college is in a remote,
poorly connected location with no network redundancy (such as a remote island). Please connect with me if you want a
comparison or recommendation from our experiences with various vendors in this space.

Ben Singh
Higher Ed IT Architect
OculusIT