Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Cybersecurity Students

From: Frank Barton <bartonf () HUSSON EDU>
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2019 16:31:00 -0400

While I haven't taught any such class, I have been invited in to present to
similar classes. I would agree that you should not allow the students to
actively try to penetrate the school's systems. However, I would make sure
that you have the conversation that "if you do see or find something, let
us know"

It is a delicate balance that you need to strike "You are not permitted to
do this outside of the small, isolated networks that we have set up for
this express purpose, and if we find you doing any of this outside of those
networks there will be severe consequences; If you do come across a hole,
notify us responsibly so that we can fix it, and we won't throw the book at
you" and then segue into a discussion about responsible disclosure and
ethical considerations.

Frank

On Thu, Apr 4, 2019 at 4:07 PM Zachary Yamada <zachary.yamada () chemeketa edu>