Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: [External] Re: [SECURITY] Initial Phishing Simulation - Do you tell them first?

From: "Gregg, Christopher S." <csgregg () STTHOMAS EDU>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2019 15:12:21 +0000

We started down the path of phish testing, and then dropped it in favor of working on more pressing/effective
activities such as our campus-wide MFA solution and creating a process for users to report real phishing or suspicious
messages.  In our initial phish testing though we definitely alerted the targeted groups and ramped up the tests as we
went.  Test 1 was a an easy one to spot and we told them exactly when it was coming.  Test 2 was a little trickier and
they knew it was coming within a small timeframe.  Test 3 was trickier yet, and they just knew it was coming at some
point in the current month.

I think it comes down to your end goals.  Not telling your users will give you a more accurate and scientific baseline
to possibly measure how well your awareness program is working.  However if your overall goal is to reduce compromised
accounts via phishing (and related scams) by educating your community to be effective phishing spotters/hunters, I
would recommend including the community as fully as possible all along the way.  I don’t think you want to risk
potentially shaming or angering parts of the community in order to have better comparison data.

In the end we have been able to use data on real phishing attacks and account compromises to show that our various
methods (awareness efforts + MFA + better response processes + better filtering) seem to be working.

Thanks,

Chris

Chris Gregg
Associate Vice President of Information Security & Risk Management, CISO
Information Technology Services (ITS)
csgregg () stthomas edu<mailto:csgregg () stthomas edu>
p 1 (651) 962-6265
University of St. Thomas | stthomas.edu<https://www.stthomas.edu>