Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Initial Phishing Simulation - Do you tell them first?

From: Eric Weakland <eric () AMERICAN EDU>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2019 13:51:39 +0000

David,

I’m firmly in the Notify initially and stress it’s never punitive camp.  We’ve been doing Phishing Awareness
Simulations for 3+ years.

Here is what AU did.

  1.  Executive buy in.  We did a Pilot program with the President of the university and their cabinet at the time,
since they were frequent spear phishing targets, they were very receptive.  This gave us their buy in and support.
They were sent phishing simulation messages and we were able to answer any of their questions and take their feedback –
and the president sent a campus wide message announcing the program, stressing it was never going to be punitive and
was supported by them.
  2.  Initial campus wide simulations were announced in advance in decreasing specificity over the 1st year.  First we
told them the simulation was coming on “Tuesday at 3:30pm” next time it was “Tuesday afternoon”  then “sometime
Tuesday” then “Sometime this week” and so on.   After a semester, we started just sending once a semester messages
reminding the community that we would be doing this monthly.
  3.  We do simulations once a month to all faculty and staff, and several extra times (once a week) during
cybersecurity awareness month.
  4.  The executive (president and cabinet level) awareness and public sanctioning of the program has gone a long long
way to overcoming any pushback from faculty and staff.

Cheers,

Eric Weakland, CISSP, CISM, CRISC, ITIL
Director, Information Security
Office of Information Technology
American University
eric at american.edu<http://american.edu/>
202.885.2241

Emails from IT asking you to log in with a link are scams!
No one from Microsoft is going to call you about your computer!
The IRS isn’t going to call you and threaten legal action, unless you pay them using gift cards!