Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Periodic reviews of Windows file shares

From: Mandi Witkovsky <witkovsm () PFW EDU>
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2019 19:38:07 +0000

We’re on the tail end of a massive audit of our network shares, so I feel your pain.  For the last 5 years (for as long
as we have had a dedicated security & identity team) we have ensured that for any new folder creations, we were
granting access via a unique security group only at the root level folder.  Prior to that, access was granted pretty
much willy-nilly at any level of the folder structure, sometimes using a group but sometimes based on OU or username.
Basically whatever changes our users asked for were carried out, more or less unquestioned.  What a mess that was to
keep track of.

Our cleanup process entailed getting a report of the current access controls for all folders (mapped as drive letter
“O”) and then for anything that was outside of our current standard (one root folder, one group) we “fixed the glitch”.
  In some cases, this meant creating a new root level folder with a new security group.  In other cases, we removed the
extraneous permissions and ensured the membership of the group was appropriate.  It was a lot of work but it leaves us
in a better place.

From this point forward, audits should be much easier.  All our groups are named a certain way (o-foldername) and the
group’s description indicates owner, purpose, and department.  Running a report of access controls should show whether
access is being granted only at the root level, and then it’s a matter of contacting owners to make sure the folder is
still needed and the membership is correct.  And breaking the fingers of any sys admin that grants access on a
subdirectory.  ☺

We’re a relatively small central IT shop, and we just don’t have the manpower to properly maintain complicated file
permissions for every department on campus.  We made one exception for a department that has their own IT technician
and a very complicated set of folder permissions which they wanted to maintain.  For this we laid down the ground rules
and gave them the access to manage it on their own.

mandi

Mandi Witkovsky
Manager of Security and Identity
Information Technology Services
Purdue University Fort Wayne
witkovsm () pfw edu<mailto:witkovsm () pfw edu>