Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: MFA Student Deployment Questions

From: "Giacobe, Nick" <nxg13 () PSU EDU>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2019 03:52:39 +0000

We rolled out in phases.  Eventually, we set a required deadline for faculty/staff and all employees (including student
employees) to use our 2FA solution.  We have not (yet, I suspect it's coming soon) required student participation.
Currently, it's optional for students.  See https://www.identity.psu.edu/services/authentication-services/two-factor/
for what we tell our folks about the system.

Our 2FA solution (DUO) can use a smartphone app, telephone calling to user-defined phone numbers and a 2FA dongle.  The
app operates in two modes. One mode is push, where the app is notified that a logon request has occurred, and the user
must approve by clicking a button on the app. The second mode is synchronized pseudo-random number like a dongle does.
I think the phone call version addresses many of the disability/accessibility issues.  For the dongle, we allow the
user to purchase it, if they want to... $22 per dongle.  Also, there is an option for the user to have the system send
them a text message with ten (10) one-time-use login 2FA codes.  That may work also for some accessibility situations.

Similar to what others report, faculty and staff took longer to adapt than students, but that may be similar to
different generational issues with technology adoption.

Anecdotally, I'd have to say that the vast majority of our users use the smartphone app.

---
Nicklaus A. Giacobe, Ph.D.
Director of Undergraduate Programs and Assistant Teaching Professor
Phone: 814-865-8233
College of Information Sciences and Technology
Penn State University
E333 Westgate Building
University Park, PA 16802