Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Query: internet browsing logs

From: Roshan Harneker <roshan.harneker () UCT AC ZA>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2018 13:13:34 +0000

Hi,

We have a requirement to be able to collate internet browsing logs that will also be able to provide us with detail
around URLs visited especially when forensic investigations are requested. We don't have a requirement to view the
website contents, just websites visited. In the past TMG was used as a proxy but since so much traffic is now
SSL-based, I wanted to know what other universities are using to capture HTTP/HTTPS traffic information and being able
to tie each URL visited to an identity.

Regards,
Roshan

Roshan Harneker
Senior Manager: Information and Cybersecurity Services
Information & Communication Technology Services (ICTS)
University of Cape Town
Phone: 021 650 3658
roshan.harneker () uct ac za<mailto:roshan.harneker () uct ac za>
https://csirt.uct.ac.za

Disclaimer - University of Cape Town This email is subject to UCT policies and email disclaimer published on our
website at http://www.uct.ac.za/main/email-disclaimer or obtainable from +27 21 650 9111. If this email is not related
to the business of UCT, it is sent by the sender in an individual capacity. Please report security incidents or abuse
via https://csirt.uct.ac.za/page/report-an-incident.php.