Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Managing the "Report Phishing" Inbox

From: "Gomez, Joshua" <J.Gomez () SNHU EDU>
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2018 13:41:27 +0000

Hello Everyone,

I'm looking for some insight with managing the inbox for our email that we use for our community to report phishing.
Currently our phishing inbox is on Exchange Online and we have 3 users who manage it (included myself) who are
delegated access.

We are looking for some ideas on managing this inbox.  We are currently create a new folder for each new email campaign
 that comes through with the naming convention "YYYYMMDD-PH-## <sender's email>". Quickly within a month or two we hit
between 500-1000 folders in the inbox using this method and it causes issues.  From what we understand, once there are
over 500 folders, there symptoms such as some users can't see some folders or not all emails appear.

My questions are:

1.    How do you manage/organize your "ReportPhishing () University com" inboxes?

2.    How many users are actively monitoring it?

3.    What is your retention period for phishing emails?

Joshua Gomez | Consultant, Information Security
Information Technology Solutions
Physical Address: 1230 Elm Street, Manchester, NH 03101
Mailing Address: 2500 North River Road, Manchester, NH 03106
Office Phone: 603-626-9100 x7777 |