Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Please bear with me - this is an odd request ...

From: Brian Basgen <brian_basgen () EMERSON EDU>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2018 14:38:17 -0500

Hi Chad,

 Sounds like an interesting opportunity from an engaged board. :)

 I suspect your easiest and best path is engaging a consultant who does
remediation work. While it would be problematic to ask them to report on a
past client for obvious reasons, I wonder if you could ask them to
reconstruct some incident from a school similar to yours for which there is
sufficient public information. If they've worked to remediate higher ed in
the past, they could fill in some blanks prospectively and probably put
together a pretty compelling story. It wouldn't be accurate without
verification with the institution being researched, but a possible
acceptable goal for your Board is for a theoretical scenario that is
reasonable and realistic. That said, as you say, it would be an atypical
request to make of a consultant, but I suspect you could find someone who
would see it for what it is: as an interesting challenge!

Brian Basgen
Associate Vice President, Information Technology
Emerson College | 120 Boylston Street | Boston, MA 02116