Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

802.1X password reset issues

From: "Pardonek, Jim" <jpardonek () LUC EDU>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2018 20:37:28 +0000

We are getting some grumbling from several staff that get into a password lockout condition when changing their twice a
year required password.  We mostly see this when people have multiple devices connected to the wireless network and
they forget one of them and it locks out from re-auth requests or if they don't change the password for their email
client and that locks us out.  We have recommended procedures (turn off all devices but one and re-do the password one
at a time).  We've tried to make it less painful by upping the number of failed password attempts before it locks out,
but I don't want to get to a point where we sacrifice security for convenience.  Any any of you folks have similar
issues and what have you done to make it easier?

Thanks,

Jim

James Pardonek, MS, CISSP, CEH, GSNA
Information Security Officer
Loyola University Chicago
1032 W. Sheridan Road | Chicago, IL  60660

*: (773) 508-6086

Loyola University Chicago will never ask you for your username or password.
For the lastest information security news at Loyola, please follow us online,
Twitter: @LUCUISO
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lucuiso/
Our Blog http://blogs.luc.edu/uiso/