Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Active Directory Lockout Log Tools

From: Kevin Wilcox <wilcoxkm () APPSTATE EDU>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2018 12:25:41 -0400

On Mon, 29 Oct 2018 at 11:48, Justin Hensley
<justin.hensley () ucumberlands edu> wrote:

We have been encountering an increased occurrence of user accounts being locked due to our AD lockout policy.  In the
past, almost all of these issues have been due to a user having a bad password in one of our university systems that
kept attempting to autologin and caused the lockout.  However, we now believe that attackers are attempting to brute
force the password with a known username on some accounts.  Would anyone have an suggestions on a quicker way to
track this activity back to an IP than sorting through all the AD logs?  Are there any tools out there to help with
this?

Justin - this is where I really love log agg and visualisation. This
is also 100% in the SIEM realm

Elastic/Splunk/LogRhythm/QRadar/pick-your-agg-tech all have dashboard
functions. A good dashboard will have:

o the locked accounts
o when they happened
o which system cut the log
o the raw logs themselves
o which system caused the lockout
o where to find the system that caused the lockout

I'm happy to share off-list an example from the dashboard that we use
for some AD lockouts. If you're interested in standing up a VM just to
demo Elastic with Windows logs, I'm happy to help there as well.

Hmm is the CFP for SPC going on? :)

kmw