Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Active Directory Lockout Log Tools

From: Taylor Randle <TRandle () PARKER EDU>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2018 16:06:18 +0000

Hi Justin,

Most tools I've found really just help you get to the server/service causing the lockout quicker - generally some log
examination/traffic correlation will still necessary after that to get to the source IP but I've found that these have
helped us by proactively alerting on lockouts and cutting the investigation time down.

ManageEngine's ADAudit Plus -<https://www.manageengine.com/products/active-directory-audit/> specifically the Account
Lockout
Analyzer<https://www.manageengine.com/products/active-directory-audit/windows-ad-user-account-lockout-analyzer.html>
functionality. This is paid for but is a nice centralized place for analyzing many common AD tasks and can also send
alerts.
Netwrix's Account Lockout Examiner<https://www.netwrix.com/account_lockout_examiner.html> (free but you have to
register a "business email" and will forever receive sales emails after)
Microsoft's Account Lockout & Management Tools<https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=18465> (free)

If you have the time, setting up something like the Elastic Stack (formerly known as the ELK
stack)<https://www.elastic.co/products> to centralize DC/firewall logs and set up a dashboard for correlation.

Thanks!
Taylor

Taylor Randle
Director of Client Services & IT Security

https://www.parker.edu/uploadedImages/0000_Home/0012_Images/Email_Signature/Parker_H_RGB.png]

2540 Walnut Hill Lane, Dallas, TX 75229
T: 214.902.2439 | F: 214.902.2431
trandle () parker edu<mailto:trandle () parker edu>
www.parker.edu<http://www.parker.edu/> | www.parkerseminars.com<http://www.parkerseminars.com/>

https://www.parker.edu/uploadedImages/0000_Home/0012_Images/Email_Signature/Twitter_Icon_RGB.png]<http://www.twitter.com/ParkerUniv>